Interesting Facts About Avondale's Past
Avondale’s Past---do you remember any details?
Could you share a memory?
Submit your memories via our Contact Us Page!
- There once was a coffee bar called “The Mausoleum” on corner of Taft & Westheimer
- There was a Texas Barbecue House Restaurant before Two Pesos Restaurant became Taco Cabaña , Montrose and Westheimer where the Smoothie King is now located
- There was a pharmacy on the NE corner of Montrose and Westheimer where Alladins’ is presently.
- There was once a Barbers School across the street from Mango’s Restaurant in the early 80’s
- Big Franks was the name of the restaurant that Ming’s took over, now that space is occupied by lil Big’s.
- In the late 80'd the Guardian Angels had their headquarters where the parking lot of Avant Gardens is now.
- Westheimer Road between Montrose and Bagby was once called Hathaway street
- There were bars called The Truck Stop, Silver Phoenix and Dirty Sally’s on Avondale Blvd in the early 80’s
- Numbers Bar was once called Babylon
- The Round Table Bar was located where the Veterans center (Westheimer and Whitney) is now.
- A Bar called “The Second Sun” was located where the Cat doctor Clinic is now—
- 910 Westheimer Blue water Driving School was located before becoming Prive lounge
- The Midnight Sun bar, Bayou Landing, Momma’s Money, The Depo Station and later QT's were located where the parking lot of the Cat Doctors clinic is now.
- Hungry’s International Restaurant was once located on south side of Westheimer and Helena
- Houlihan’s Restaurant was once located on northeast corner of Westheimer and Helena
- The Chicken Coop Bar was once located on south east corner of Stanford and Westheimer
- Just Marion and Lynn's Bar was located on southeast corner of Grant and Fairview
- Theodores Club and Antique Shop was once located at Mason and Avondale Blvd.
- ET Scrugg’s Restaurant was once located at 212 Westheimer